Monday, November 9, 2009

Putting the 'Call out' for USED Mobile Phones.

Hello,
As most of you know, I own a clothing company (TrendyKidz) and a factory in Bali. I already support the local village, local school children and local orphanage. I enjoy making an incredible difference to the lifestyles of my staff and their families (58 people) too!
One thing I have noticed is that when you go to the outskirts of Bali and onto other islands there is extreme poverty.
In order to get money, many families have to send their teenagers into the tourist areas to work.
Sometimes it is 6 months before they get to return home for a visit.
When the children leave, they never even know if they got there safely, let alone when they are coming back.
As a mother of 2 teenage girls this scares me!!
HOW CAN YOU HELP??
Your old mobile phone (unlocked to any network and with a charger) will benefit them greatly, it allows contact between the teen, who is often alone, unsure and scared and their families in the villages.
They are truly happy with an old large square nokia, seriously!! Our kids wouldnt be seen with one!
SIM cards and phone plans are very cheap over there and they can get them with little inconvenience, but to buy a mobile phone is another matter. Most villagers do not even have a home phone!!! (Could you imagine??)
I would really appreciate if you could hunt around for old phones and put them in the mail or deliver to me (if NOR in Perth?). I go to Bali regularly and am happy to take them. The airlines know me now and seem to let me off with excess luggage as it is always toys for the orphanages etc or old phones.
My next trip is in December, so I really need them NOW, Please?
PLEASE post to my postal address. 29 Renner circle WANNEROO, WA, 6065.
I would also appreciate if you could circulate this to ALL of your friends and family and ask them to do the same.
Also, if you have an old phone and it is locked to a network, please take it to your nearest network provider shop, explain what it is for and they will unlock for free.
As INDIVIDUALS we are incredible, TOGETHER we are UNSTOPPABLE!
Let’s make a HUGE difference to the safety of Teens in Indonesia - 1 phone at a time!!!
Thank you!
Have a good day!
Bev
Mobile: 0427 401 529 Fax: 08 9306 3448
Email: beverley@trendykidz.com.au
www.trendykidz.com.au
Also mentioned at http://catherinebolt.com/?p=124

3 comments:

  1. My next trip is this saturday and 6 weeks after that...... this is an ongoing collection, so please do not be put off by the dates in the blog.... Thanks sooooooo much!
    Bev xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have already donated my phones but I have a bag full of old nokia chargers. Are these of any use? Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes please! We often receive phones with no chargers and have to buy them!
    Thank you so much!!
    Bev xx

    ReplyDelete